Photos of readers

Today we feature Joe Dickinson, who’s contributed many photos to the “readers’ photos” section.  Joe provided the indented caption:

As suggested, here is a picture of what I am doing during the lockdown.  I’m not actually rereading “Song of the Dodo”, but I chose it because it is one of my all time favorites.

1. Posted April 22, 2020 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

A lovely scene! Almost like you are reading to your dog to lull him/her to sleep.

• Posted April 23, 2020 at 12:49 am | Permalink

Do you happen to know how to send Prof. Coyne my photo (i.e. what email?)?

• Posted April 23, 2020 at 10:27 am | Permalink

We don’t want to put his email in these comments where robots can read it. As it says in the website rules (“Da Roolz”),

“My email is easily available via elementary Googling.”

2. Posted April 22, 2020 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

I’ll have to check out The Song of the Dodo. Thanks.

I think I spy a d*g in that photo!

• Posted April 22, 2020 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

I’ve been reading David Quammen since his days with Outside magazine in the 70s and 80s.

3. Randall Schenck
    Posted April 22, 2020 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

I was trying to figure out who got the best chair. Looks almost equal. Never happen with a cat.

• JezGrove
      Posted April 22, 2020 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

How true!

• Joe Dickinson
      Posted April 22, 2020 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

Most often he would be in my lap, but I got up and down several times to get the camera properly pointed and focused and to start the self-timer, so he had given up on me.

• Randall Schenck
        Posted April 22, 2020 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Ah, I thought he had that look about him. Withholding the lap can be trouble.

4. Mark Cagnetta
    Posted April 22, 2020 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

I agree. A wonderfully sad book.

5. Liz
    Posted April 22, 2020 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

Wonderful picture!

6. Debra Coplan
    Posted April 22, 2020 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

A very relaxing scene…Your area looks so comfortable. I’m glad the dog is enjoying a great seat in the house and staying safe.

7. Posted April 22, 2020 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

That’s a pleasant room to be in.

8. flexilis
    Posted April 22, 2020 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

The Song of the Dodo is an excellent book. I also highly recommend another book by the same author, David Quammen. It is called Spillover, published in 2012. It deals with the possibility of a new pandemic originating when a pathogen makes the jump from animals to humans. Would the world be the same right now, if this book had been studied and taken seriously by policymakers worldwide? Who knows. What is certain is that we are in the latest pandemic, but there will probably be more in the future. Can we learn how to deal with them?

• Mark R.
      Posted April 22, 2020 at 9:47 pm | Permalink

“probably” is an understatement. The way humans are ravaging hidden realms and travelling across the globe in droves in a day…inevitable. I guess the question is: is it worth it? I don’t travel much, so no big deal for me. Not so much for the masses of humanity that nowadays needs to travel everywhere. Travel is exhilarating, just don’t know the line between exhilerating and infection..

9. darrelle
    Posted April 23, 2020 at 7:17 am | Permalink

A worthwhile pastime. Plenty of extra time to catch up on some reading.