Photos of readers

Do send in a photo of yourself if you’d like to be featured here. We do have a dearth of women, and I’m not sure what that means, but I’d like it fixed given that there are a fair few female readers.

At any rate, today we have Gregory James, who sent a photo and some notes:

I’m was trained as an anthropologist/archaeologist back in the 1970’s but escaped into the wild with the advent of micro computers. My interest in computer mapping (originally of archaeological sites) led me away from the discipline into a career in software development. I like to say I’m a founding member of AA (Archaeologists Anonymous).

My wife (also a former archaeologist) and I enjoy travel, especially with visits to historic and prehistoric sites of interest. Here we am at the Maeshowe Chambered Cairn on Orkney last year. God sent a rainbow to celebrate our visit.
Actually, he sent many rainbows during our visit. The place is positively teeming with rainbows in October.

1. merilee
    Posted September 27, 2019 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

🐾🐾

2. GBJames
    Posted September 27, 2019 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

sub, sez I.

3. Simon Hayward
    Posted September 27, 2019 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Is it true that every time we see a rainbow god is having gay sex? (Or is that just a rumor made up to enrage southern baptists)

• Geoff Toscano
      Posted September 27, 2019 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

It’s absolutely true!

• Mark R.
      Posted September 27, 2019 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

🤣🤣🤣

• Heather Hastie
      Posted September 27, 2019 at 9:55 pm | Permalink

It’s absolutely true! I wrote a post a few years ago exploring the idea that God is gay for fun: https://www.heatherhastie.com/is-yahweh-gay/

Posted September 27, 2019 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

After watching Raiders of the Lost Ark as a youth, I decided to become an archaeologist. I soon learned it really had nothing to do with Indiana Jones types solving ancient riddles and uncovering buried treasure. Now, of course, I realize the important and difficult work that true archaeology entails. Computer mapping of archaeological sites must have been an exciting field when it first hit the scene.

Anyway, lovely photo of you and your wife.

• Heather Hastie
      Posted September 27, 2019 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

It is a lovely photo of you both. You’re also in a place that’s on my Bucket List to visit. I recommended it to my mother when she was visiting Scotland a few years ago, and she took my day pack with her, so at least that made the trip. She got me a fridge magnet from there too, so I even got a memento.

I would have loved to have been an archaeologist in Britain. My plan was to go there to do my doctorate. Although I wasn’t exactly sure how I wanted things to play out career-wise after that, archaeology was something that really attracted me. (However, I was only 19 when a hockey injury meant my first major back surgery. That sent all my life plans rather awry.)

• GBJames
        Posted September 28, 2019 at 10:06 am | Permalink

Unfortunately you can’t see the little pin on my hat in this photo. I picked it up in a tourist shop in Edinburgh, one of those “family crest” pins they sell, this one for people named “James”. I couldn’t pass it up when I read the tiny print. I think my friends here on WEIT would appreciate it…

DEO SEMPER CONFIDE

😉

5. Liz
    Posted September 27, 2019 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

Lovely.

Posted September 27, 2019 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

So many rainbows…so little time…

7. Posted September 27, 2019 at 6:30 pm | Permalink