Peregrinations

I’m off to my beloved Cambridge, MA tomorrow morning for business, and won’t be back until Tuesday.  I’ll post what I can, but Drs. Mayer and Cobb have kindly consented to fill in during my absence.

In the meantime, here, you can haz snub-nosed monkey:

(From National Geographic [photo by Cyril Ruoso], captioned: “The heavy fur of China’s snub-nosed monkey is a boon in subzero winters. Its quirky face could help too. Not yet two, a golden snub-nosed monkey perches in a highland forest in China’s Zhouzhi National Nature Reserve.  Maturity comes by age seven. Life span is unknown.”)

This species (Rhinopithecus roxellana) is found in a small region in the mountains of central China, and is endangered because of habitat loss.

1. still learning
    Posted January 20, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

OMG! That is the cutest thing! Want!

2. Posted January 20, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

Enjoy the trip! I’m sure we’ll at least pretend to try to behave….

Cheers,

b&

3. Michelle B
    Posted January 20, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Overdose of cute.

4. Helen Wise
    Posted January 20, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

Don’t want snub nosed monkey.

Want Dr. Coyne.

5. Posted January 20, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

Clearly a leading candidate for Noah’s favorite at Ken Ham’s ark 🙂

6. Posted January 20, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Endangered?! Iznt teh cuteness to humans a survival trait? Must save teh cute!

7. H.H.
    Posted January 20, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

I don’t know about cute. I always thought snub-nosed monkeys resembled Michael Jackson.

8. Posted January 20, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

Meltingly cute…Itterasha—-i! (Go and come back!)

9. Prodigal Sun
    Posted January 20, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

Which species is driving it to extinction again?I haz a shrt mumery.Is it the one that proclaims its right to hunt whatever,whenever,and however it pleases.and then screams bloody murder if the occasional large predator decides to dine on human?Dost thou thinkest me a bad person for so seying?I would like to enter Ted Nugent into a survival contest-strip him of all his guns trucks gps devices clothes backup by civilizational authorities etc etc-and see how he survives as the (not so great,after all) white hunter.

• Dominic
      Posted January 21, 2011 at 4:34 am | Permalink

It is the tree eaters – hoo-manz

10. MadScientist
    Posted January 21, 2011 at 2:46 am | Permalink

Speaking of the Peregrine and monkeys – there are large eagles in Asia which eat monkeys. This cute golden snub-nosed monkey would be a nice little snack.

• Kevin
      Posted January 21, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Wouldn’t have to be a large eagle.

I saw a piece (60 Minutes?) on falconry — they showed a golden eagle which brought down a deer! With no problem whatsoever.

A middling-sized hawk would make quick work of the little cute-ums.

11. Posted January 21, 2011 at 6:01 am | Permalink

I’m pretty sure I won one of those at a Carnival in a Wal-Mart parking lot in Peoria Illinois.

12. daveau
    Posted January 21, 2011 at 8:12 am | Permalink

What a doorbell.

Sorry to break it to ya, but I don’t think it’s any warmer in Cambridge.

13. Strider
    Posted January 21, 2011 at 11:39 am | Permalink

I *love* that picture! It is one of the cutest things I’ve seen in a long time (besides my daughter-also a primate)!

• Prodigal Sun
      Posted January 24, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

cool name.Strider from Lord of the Rings,write?

One Trackback/Pingback

1. […] few days ago I posted a photo of an über-cute monkey, a juvenile snub-nosed golden monkey. The species lives in the mountains of central China, and is […]